Animal botulism in Poland – laboratory and epidemiological investigations
Journal of Veterinary Research
MetadanePokaż pełny rekord
The aim of the study was to present cases of botulism in animals found in Poland in 2019–2021. The analytical laboratory diagnosis and difficulties that occurred in the interpretation of the results are described. Material and Methods: From 2019 to 2021, samples of serum, intestinal content, liver, spleen, kidney, faeces, wet feed, dry feed, ensilage, water and mixed samples of internal organs associated with 10 suspected animal botulism cases were sent to the National Veterinary Research Institute. Samples were analysed using a mouse bioassay and culture methods in combination with ntnh and bont gene detection. Results: Among the ten putative botulism cases, only four (40%) were confirmed in the laboratory on the basis of the detection of botulinum toxin (BoNT) or the ntnh or bont genes. The remaining six (60%) were determined as probable despite observable characteristic clinical signs. Conclusion: The diagnosis of botulism in animals is a very difficult task, made so by the heterogeneity of Clostridium botulinum strains and possible loss of toxinogenicity during laboratory processing or the potential degradation of toxins. Laboratory diagnosis is a complex and problematic process which should utilise different prescribed methods for specific types of sample.
- Publikacje